Johnson Creek Rd. and Route 220 Closures
On 2/23/19 The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) closed Rt 661 Johnson Creek Rd and on 2/24/19 Route 220 (Hot Springs Road) to through traffic due to slope failures. The closures require Alleghany County Public Schools Transportation to implement the following bus route changes. ACPS Transportation worked diligently to minimize the impact to parents and students.
Johnson Creek – CALLAGHAN ELEMENTARY ONLY
Route 661 is closed between state routes 6020 and 6121. As a result, the single route of Bus 49 is being divided into 2 groups, 1 above and 1 below the closure.
AM Bus Run
· Group 1- Students on the Indian Draft Rd side of the Johnson Creek closure.
Bus 23 will begin CES student pick up on Johnson Creek Rd at 7:10 am. CES students who live above 5631 Johnson Creek Rd will be picked up at Smitty’s Welding. The pick-up time is approximately 7:17 am. Callaghan Elementary students will be taken directly to CES.
· Group 2 - Students on the Ogles Creek side of the Johnson Creek closure.
Bus 49 is the normal bus and will begin the run at 6210 Johnson Creek Rd at the normal time and continue on the route back to CES. Each stop thereafter will be at the regular time. These students will not see any change or times in the morning.
PM Bus Run
· Group 1 - Students on the Indian Draft Rd side of the Johnson Creek of the closure.
Bus 13 will transport home the students picked up in the AM. Bus 13 arrive on Johsnon Creek at approximately 3:30 and end at 5631 Johnson Creek Rd, Smitty’s Welding at approximately 3:37 p.m.
· Group 2 -Students on the Ogles Creek side of the Johnson Creek of the closure.
This route will be reversed ending at 6210 Johnson Creek Rd. Bus 49 will begin at 4327 Midland Trail at 3:31 p.m. and end at 6210 Johnson Creek Rd at approximately 4:20 p.m.
Route 220 AHS/CMS/MVE
Closure above Dunbrack Rd. A new bus is being added for the morning run. The afternoon buses will remain the same except the drop off above the closure will be 15-20 minutes behind normal schedule.
AM Bus Run
· Group 3- Dunbrack Rd and below closure
No impact in morning route.
· Group 4 -North of Dunbrack Rd
Added Bus 8. Students who normally ride Bus 1 or Bus 19 will Ride Bus 8. She will drop off the MVE students first, then CMS, then AHS.
PM Bus Run
· Group 3- Dunbrack Rd and below closure there no impact in evening.
· Group 4 -All students will ride their regular bus home (Bus 1 MVE and Bus 19 CMS/AHS) in the evening. For students on Dunbrack Rd and below there is no change. Students above Dunbrack Rd will arrive home approximately 15-20 minutes behind normal schedule on their regular bus.
Please contact Alleghany County Public Schools Transportation at 540-965-1809 with any questions.