P.O. Drawer 140, 100 Central Circle
Low Moor, VA 24457
Office (540) 863-1800
JRTC Board Meeting Notes
What follows are the notes from the August 8, 2017 meeting of the Jackson River Technical Center Joint Board of Control. You are encouraged to contact Eugene Kotulka if you have questions regarding this information.
Present: Cindy Bennett (Covington City), Eddy Clemons (Covington City), Gerald Franson (Alleghany County), Jennifer Seckner (Alleghany County), Craig Lane (Alleghany County), Glenn Spangler (JRTC Director), Christy Armentrout (Clerk), Melinda Snead-Johnson (Covington City Superintendent) and Eugene Kotulka (Alleghany County Superintendent/Administrator).
1. The minutes of the July meeting were approved as amended.
Spangler noted that the school year begins on August 9th, and that
the teachers have been back at work for the past week. Mr. Spangler introduced
Austin Gibson, the new Computer
Systems Technology teacher. The following instructors gave updates on their programs:
Fridley reported the Carpentry program received a donation of kiln dried lumber
from Bennett Logging, a donation of safety glasses and hearing protection for
the year from
Ingevity, and $1,000.00 from WestRock.
· Mrs. Givens noted that the Nursing Assistant program has six students participating in a mentorship program with LewisGale Hospital - Alleghany.
Baldwin gave an update about the new smart monitor system in her classroom. She also mentioned that a
new sign designed by Chloe Eggleston, who was in her class last
year, has been installed in front of the entrance to the school.
3. Mr. Spangler will report enrollment numbers to the board at the next regular meeting.
4. Prior to the meeting the board members were presented with a copy of the JRTC School Crisis Plan to review. The Crisis Plan was approved by unanimous aye vote.
5. Following Closed Session, personnel were approved.
6. Bills in the amount of $3,490.42 were approved. Bills and salaries in the amount of $67,910.91 were also paid in accordance with approved salary and benefit schedules.
The meeting adjourned at 12:15 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on September 12 at 12:00 p.m.